Page of

Excavating Christian Western Thebes: A History1

Excavating Christian Western Thebes: A History1

Chapter:
(p.253) 22 Excavating Christian Western Thebes: A History1
Source:
Christianity and Monasticism in Upper Egypt
Author(s):
Gawdat GabraHany N. Takla
Publisher:
American University in Cairo Press
DOI:10.5743/cairo/9789774163111.003.0022

Visitors, dealers, collectors, and archaeologists in modern times have judged the impressive pharaonic stone monuments to be physically encumbered by post-pharaonic reuse and, accordingly, have sought to return the tombs and mortuary temples to an imagined “pristine” state. Over half of the edited corpus of Coptic papyri (about 3,300 items) can be attributed to the region (Delattre 2005–), with the result that the site is one of the best documented in antiquity. Nationally aligned institutions jockeyed to establish prominent collections under a greater or lesser pretense of scholarship and, in 1858, the Egyptian Antiquities Service began to regulate excavation. At the late antique town site of Memnonion/Jeme located at modern Madinat Habu, he apparently purchased a manuscript containing so-called Gnostic texts and now known as the Bruce Codex (Bodl., MS Bruce 96).

Keywords:   archaeologists, pharaonic stone monuments, Coptic papyri, antiquity, Western Thebes, Egyptian Antiquities Service, excavation, Memnonion, Gnostic texts, Bruce Codex

Sign In

Copyright © 2021. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy and Legal Notice