Esna is attested in ancient Egyptian texts as “Seni,” “Sna” or “Esni” which are derivatives of “Tasn” (Gauthier 1925–32, vol. 5: 38). It is believed that Emperor Hadrian, during his visit to Egypt in AD 132, made some establishments in Esna; thus it became Egypt's capital. Emperor Decius (ad 250) imposed a pagan appearance on the city. The vicar of the diocese of Esna, Father Matteos, demolished the 1940 building and rebuilt it early in 2006. A woman called Omm Armiya Naeem pointed out that the location of the tomb was on the western side of the church building before 1940, but it was moved to the east of the sanctuary in 1940.
Keywords: Esna, Seni, Sna, Esni, Hadrian, Decius, Father Matteos